Activate your cerebral cortex exploring the determination of breath death with the world’s greatest neurotoxicologist!
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they chat with Dr. Laura Tormoehlen about her experience as a neurologist and toxicologist. Dispel the myths and common misperceptions about the determination of brain death in the toxicology patient and learn the mimics that you need to look out for. Beware the oculovestibular reflex and welcome to Season 2!
- ACMT Position Statement: Determining Brain Death in Adults After Drug Overdose.
- American Academy of Neurology. Evidence-based guideline update: Determining brain death in adults.
- Pediatric determination of brain death. Guidelines for the determination of brain death in infants and children: an update of the 1987 task force recommendations.
- Know your local regulations. Organ donation legislation and policy
- Scary. Baclofen overdose mimicking brain death.
- Grab your copy of Dr. Schaumburg’s excellent textbook. Experimental and Clinical Neurotoxicology.
- A video demonstrating cold calorics in an awake patient. Nauseating.
- Fascinating article from the New Yorker. What Does It Mean to Die?
Thank you for your continued support and determined feedback. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.