NOT RECLUSE with Dr. Rick Vetter
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they speak with Dr. Rick Vetter about all things brown recluse, why you should always inspect your packages very, very carefully, and why Howard will never move to Kansas.
- The USPS should be known as “The Fearless” . . . Arachnids submitted as suspected brown recluse spiders. . . And brown recluse spiders live where they do.
- How to Identify and Misidentify a Brown Recluse Spider. Step #1 – Check the Map. . . Step #999999 – if you can count the eyes, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE.
- A reason for this family to play the lottery . . . An infestation of 2,055 brown recluse spiders and no envenomations in a Kansas home. . .
- The Myth of the Brown Recluse – Fact, Fear, and Loathing by Dr. Vetter
- Don’t forget that systemic symptoms can occur as well. Hemolytic anemia following a presumptive brown recluse spider bite.
- NOT RECLUSE – a mnemonic device to avoid false diagnoses of brown recluse spider bites.
- Dan is happy to remind NYC of mistakes we’ve made . . . Cutaneous Anthrax Infection initially diagnosed as a brown recluse spider bite.
- Maratus volans, or the peacock spider, is a species in the jumping spider family with a very interesting mating dance. . .
- To be an Explorer. A special meal with tempura tarantula in ponzu sauce.
- “Eight legs. Two fangs. And an attitude.”
Thank you for your continued support. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
Thank you to our house band Pretty Simple Duo (@prettysimpleduo), our announcer Josh Shelov (@shelovj), and Reverend Matt Winston of Witness Protection Products. Ad at 26:15 . . .
Peacock Spider Maratus Volans by Jurgen Otto. Special thanks to Ice T, Dick Wolf and the cast and crew of Law & Order: SVU for the years of amazing television. Made with love and respect.
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.
Listen on iTunes or Spotify! Earholes happy? Rate and review! Show the love!
Michael Meraner says
Just FYI – the recluse map range linked above under the anchor “Check the map” leads to a broken site. Here is a map on a live site showing the distribution of Loxosceles sp. in the United States: https://usaspiders.com/loxosceles-reclusa-brown-recluse/#Map_of_other_Loxosceles_species_in_the_United_States